Drexel started football last week with 4 days of camp. He learned a lot and made some new friends including his coaches. He told me the first night that it wasn't going so well, but he made it through. I'm not ever really sure what he's saying to the coaches but I'm sure it's something like - can't you just do it for me? But no they find a way to get him through it. Monday night was the first night with full pads and as a single momma who has NEVER been around football pads before I was in for a rude awakening and it was HOT. I mean scorching sit there and sweat rolls down your back and all you're doing is sitting there. Ugh. Hot.
Drexel signed up for football to be closer to his buddy Max. Max was in his class at school and they became fast friends. Max's dad and I were in high school the same time but not close or anything but I know who he is and he knows who I am sort of thing. I love a small town for that. Anyway - Drexel and Max have been buddies. Brison, another boy from his class are on the football field together. Well, last week on the last day of camp, Max was having a rough day. He just wasn't feeling the groove of football. It was hot, there were helmets, it was hot, but Max wasn't having a good night and I felt so terrible for him. He just didn't want to be there. That's when it happened. My son made me proud and sprung a tear to my eye when Max's mom told me the story.
During a water break I had stepped up to make sure Drexel had some water and he said to me, "Mom, I'm just really worried about Max." To which I replied, "Drexel, worry about you and Max's Mommy will take care of him. He's ok." Now, little boys rarely listen to their momma's and today was no different. I was off somewhere, walking Betty or at the concession stand or (ahem) talking to someone somewhere and when practice was over, Max's Momma stopped me. She said, "Drexel is so awesome." Well, that made me smile, naturally. She continued, "He came over to Max and told him 'Max, you just have to play. I'll hold your hand if you want me to. You know what Max, the only thing in life that is important is that you play sports and stay healthy." Max got up and went back out with his helmet on and played ball.
Apparently she's introducing us now to Pokeymon cards? What are those? I don't think we need those at our house. :) I hope they stay friends for a long long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment